Now more than ever before, what could be more important to a communication professional than credibility, trustworthiness, and the highest ethical standards of service? As communicators, our highest responsibility is ethical execution as we strive to inform, enlighten, inspire, and engage.
In a world rife with the challenges of “alternative facts,” “fake news,” disinformation and the ethical issues around artificial intelligence (AI), we must increasingly and keenly focus on our professional mandate for integrity.
To that end, IABC created the “Ethics in a Box” Workshop as a toolkit to help IABC members and other communication professionals in learning how best to address ethical dilemmas and focus on the critical conversations increasingly impacting our profession. The toolkit provides for facilitated, interactive role play and discussions around real-world ethical situations in the workplace
“Ethics in a Box” was established to ensure awareness of the IABC Code of Ethics and provide members and other communicators with professional development and ongoing support as they “live” the code.
IABC “Ethics in a Box” Workshop Objectives
- Promote the IABC Code of Ethics as a tool for dealing with ethical challenges communications professionals may encounter.
- Give attendees an understanding of how ethical dilemmas can impact their work every day and demonstrate the effectiveness of the IABC Code as a guide.
- Reinforce our profession’s responsibility to uphold ethical standards by influencing behaviors of IABC members and communication professionals.
- Create an environment where ethical challenges communicators face can be openly addressed.
- Offer a session that is interactive, interesting, and fun!
One of our IABC mantras is that professional communicators have the potential to influence economies and affect lives, and this power carries with it significant responsibilities. In our personal and professional dedication to make communication a force for good in business and society, we must do all we can to constantly increase the awareness of the importance of ethical standards.
With the ever-growing ethical issues facing not just our communication disciplines but our global society, let us make sure we shine the light on our IABC Code of Ethics and encourage our colleagues and associates to use the “Ethics in a Box” Workshop to advance, promote, and preserve integrity in our profession.
Ethics in a Box Workshop – Leader Centre (iabc.com)
The IABC Code of Ethics
Dianne Chase was the IABC International Executive Board Chair in 2016-2017.